Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Stuff I miss, Part 1, Chili's Chicken Crispers


This'll be the start the regular feature where I bemoan the loss or changes made to a particularly beloved comestible.

Today, I begin with Chili's Chicken Crispers. I eat at Chili's, you ask? Well, yes. If you date or, ahem, marry a Navajo, you'll be spending a significant amount of time in Chili's and Applebees. Why? Because the closest towns where there is a restaurant will be places like Farmington and Gallup. Not a wide array of gastronomic choice.

In fact, I once told my Sweetie that I was planning to surprise her by driving to Farmington. She asked, quite smartly, "How would you find me without tipping me off?"

The answer? "I'd go to Chili's and wait." Ha!

So yes, I've spent my time in Chili's. And my favorite dish were their chicken Crispers. Big, meaty planks of chicken. Battered in some sort of light, corn-doggy sensation. Super-hot. Super moist. Like biting a hot batter and chicken bubble. So good, it's hard to believe they ever existed.

And it's even harder now.

Chili's revamped their menu about a year ago or so. I'm sure it was some consultant's bone-headed cost-saving measure. And glory be, they messed with my Crispers. Sob. You bastards!

They're about half the size they used to be. And they're tough. And chewy. To be blunt, they suck. I actually complained the last time I was there. And the manager was very sympathetic. He even agreed with me and comped the meal.

But I haven't been back. I know I'd be tempted to try again. And my fragile ego can't take that sort of disappointment.

2 comments:

  1. I wish I had a good excuse for why I used to eat at Chili's, but let's just say I wouldn't advise ever moving to Simi Valley, California.

    I haven't been in ages, but those Crispers were the only item on their menu I could tolerate. Their demise is quite distressing. What do we have left to believe in, Rob?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dan, I honestly don't know. But that's what this blog is all about. The search for something to believe in.

    ReplyDelete